Honestly, I can’t wait for June. Though I’m a grown adult, I still associate June with the start of summer vacation, endless days of swimming, and practically living on popsicles and ice cream. Remember the days?
Koh Samui in June will easily accommodate all three of the above activities – and pretty much anything else you need from a perfect early summer break.
Koh Samui in June
1. What to expect on Koh Samui in June?
Sunshine and lots of it. Samui’s climate has its hot and cool points and, June is just about perfect. Average temperatures for the month range between 25 to 32 degrees Celsius, give or take.
2. What are hotel rates like for Koh Samui in June?
- High-end: Hansar Samui (£157/night)
- Mid-range: Escape Beach Resort (£31/night)
- Budget: Chaulty Towers Guest House (£22/night)
*Rates via Booking.com for a Monday night in June, avoiding major holidays and events.
3. Is June a good time to visit Koh Samui?
To truly get your money’s worth from a Samui trip, come in June and enjoy the longest days of the year. Sunrise on June 1st happens earlier than ever at 5:59 am, with sunset not until 6:37 pm (with July 1st five and seven minutes later, respectively).
4. What should I pack for Koh Samui in June?
- What to wear in Thailand (see beach resorts/beach towns especially)
- The best shoes to wear in Thailand
- How to pack for Thailand
5. Is June or July better on Koh Samui?
- Temperature (avg): 29°C in June vs 29°C in July
- Sunshine (hours): 6 in June vs 6 in July
- Rainy days (avg): 9 days (100mm) in June vs 9 days (120mm) in July
- Sea temperature: 28°C in June vs 28°C in July
Side by side, they stack up very similarly in terms of weather. However, from anecdotal experience, July is busier than June.
Hotel rates for July (checked at the time of writing on Booking.com) are 17-29% higher than June for the three comparison hotels I used. It’s like hotels know when school holidays start or something…
6. Is Koh Samui or Phuket better in June?
- Temperature (avg): 29°C on Koh Samui vs 29°C in Phuket
- Sunshine (hours): 6 on Koh Samui vs 7 in Phuket
- Rainy days (avg): 9 days (100mm) on Koh Samui vs 18 days (240mm) in Phuket
- Sea temperature: 28°C on Koh Samui vs 30°C in Phuket
- *data source
Choose Samui over Phuket in June (or always, y’know, just to foster an unwarranted bias…). Koh Samui and Phuket’s different climates catch many travellers out. Sun-seekers will be better off in Phuket at some times of the year, but June is not one of them.
7. Will it rain in June?
Probably! A short, sharp tropical shower isn’t unusual – a great excuse to cool off under an umbrella or on a deck with a good book and a cold Thai beer. Taking averages at face value, June has less rainfall (by volume) than May or July but it occurs over a similar time period.
8. June weddings and honeymoons on Koh Samui?
June remains a popular wedding month on Samui. Whether you’re getting married on Koh Samui, coming as a happy honeymooner or attending a Samui destination wedding as a lucky guest – you’re assured of sunshine and lots of smiles. For honeymoon packing tips, see 11 (pretty random) things to augment your trip.
Things to do on Koh Samui in June
9. Koh Samui events in June?
June is a great month for sporty people on Koh Samui: do you golf or run?
June 25: Koh Samui Marathon sponsored by Bangkok Airways
10. What fruits are in season on Koh Samui in June?
It’s rambutan season: the most striking Thai fruit is at its juiciest in summer. They’re here by the bucket-load, for pennies a pound. Come hungry – rambutans are packed with Vitamin C. As for Vitamin D? Well… that’s perhaps not a problem.
Koh Samui beaches in June
11. What are the beaches like on Koh Samui in June?
They are pret–ty nice. Here’s why I like them: they’re typically really quiet. Scrolling through my little stockpile of June photos, it’s evident how few people are around. You’ll have a great choice of sun-beds and won’t need reservations for a sunset spot.
12. Can I swim in the sea on Koh Samui in June?
Yes (barring any notices or common sense indications that things are otherwise), ocean conditions should be very much in your favour at this time of year.
Ready for research?
If you’re just starting to plan your June visit to Thailand, easily plan your Samui trip to perfection with The Koh Samui Guide. Enjoy!