25 questions with Sea Dance Resort's owner
I’ve ‘sort of’ known Sea Dance Resort’s owner, Poy Booncham, for years as Instagram buddies. He's a fascinating guy, so I asked if I could put him on the spot and ask some questions.
Q&A with Sea Dance Resort's Poy Booncham
If you've read The Koh Samui Guide, or been around the blog awhile, you'll know I love Sea Dance Resort – particularly its eco ethos. Spotting my chance in quieter COVID times – I asked Poy if I could put him on the spot and ask some questions. I'm so grateful to him for taking the time – enjoy!
1. Could you please give me a short introduction about yourself and Sea Dance?
Born and raised in Thailand, used to live in Dubai, to travel and mixed business with pleasure.
2. How did you earn your first paycheque?
Unexpected walk-in guests.
3. What’s the best thing that’s ever happened at Sea Dance?
Guests became friends.
4. What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I grew up without electricity until the age of 19.
5. What is your favourite month of the year on Samui?
September, greener and cool temperature.
6. Do you support a particular charity that you’d like people to know about? How can people support or help?
Special Needs School Samui which supports kids with special needs including autism. Sea Dance hosts a yearly birthday charity event by having the kids with special needs on-site to use Sea Dance pool to exercise as well as paint and draw and auction to raise fund for kids.
Now, due to COVID 19, the resort is not busy so kids come to use the pool every Wednesday from 11:00 to 12:30h. People can help by hosting lunch which we do most Wednesday, they can donate to host or bring food over to Sea Dance on Wednesday and offer to the kids.
(Ed note: Want to donate lunch for the kids? Contact Poy directly).
7. Who is your favourite person to follow on social media?
Follow @DalaiLama on Twitter
8. Who is on the guestlist for your ideal dinner party?
The author Paolo Coelho
9. What’s a travel trend you would like to see disappear forever?
Follow the influencers for a photograph taken only.
10. Durian – yes or no?
11. What drink do you order at happy hour?
Gin & tonic
12. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
13. 2020 has been a very strange time, but what’s the best thing that happened this year?
Created a small onsite farm at Sea Dance during the lock-down.
14. Any new skills or hobbies you learned during lockdown/quarantine?
Cut my own hair and play the guitar.
15. How has COVID affected your business plans or priorities? Besides the cleaning aspect, what can guests expect when they’re able to return?
Turning Sea Dance into a sustainable resort, healthier cuisines at Sea Dance based on using more products from the small onsite farm.
16. What do you remember most about the early days (construction or beginning) of Sea Dance?
Design process and see it taking shape.
17. Where is somewhere in Thailand you’ve always wanted to visit?
18. What’s your favourite book about travel (or Thailand)?
"Google" but mostly online search.
19. If you could change one thing on the island (other than fixing COVID-19), what would it be?
Garbage management. (Make the island clean).
20. What’s your favourite slang word or phase in Thai?
Thai - actually Isaan เบิ้ดคำสิเว้า (means I have no words to say) but what I use the most is "same same but different".
21. What’s your favourite thing to do in Bangkok?
Go to the Jatujak Market (aka Chatuchak Market).
22. What’s your favourite spot at Sea Dance?
At Sea Salt restaurant overlooking the main pool and beach.
23. What’s your favourite time of the day at Sea Dance?
Sundown and cocktails.
24. What can people do today to support small businesses and independent hotels like yours?
Explore small independent properties instead of following the big chain/branded properties and sharing/recommending small businesses on social media.
25. Anything else you want people to know?
Room promotions start from THB 999 per night (approx US$30) and healthy food is available from the onsite farm at the side street restaurant price.